Monday, January 11, 2010

Above ground find at a Coinstar machine



Today was my lucky day. It started on my way to a job site in Edmonds. Before I got to the site, I needed some fuel from 7/11. I'm pretty good about the environment and decided to pick up a Starbucks card that was left on the pavement to check the balance-keep or dispose of. This card was put in my wallet and off I went. The next stop was the local Albertsons grocery store for a sandwich. I had to stop by the Coinstar machine to see if somebody left me something. On the floor near the machine was a dull looking item. At first I thought it was a gray sticker, but I noticed it was a coin with wheat ears-a steel Lincoln 1943S penny. That's a new coin for The Lincoln Penny Project! We still are awaiting our first wheat back penny below ground with our metal detector, but now have 5 above ground wheat backs since our quest began.


When I returned home, I handed Claire the Starbucks card to see if she wanted to check it out the next time that she hit the coffee place. She got on the phone and dialed in for the balance...and the robot said, "you have a $40.00 balance." It sure pays to pick up things off the ground. When in doubt, do it!


Finds for the day: $.07

Above ground finds: $.07


Total to date: $11.20 Day 11


The Lincoln Penny Project grand total: $50.66

Above ground finds: $38.40

Below ground finds: $12.26

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve- Wow thats a great find and a fairly rare penny. Coinstar spits out anything that doesn't weigh the same as a normal coin, so you never know what you might find. Congratulations on your start with the Ace 250, looks like you are doing real well. That is the machine I use also. Sounds like you have a good handle on pinpointing, so you should be on your way to lots of treasure in 2010! Good luck to all of you on the project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. We have been lucky stopping by the Coinstar machines-it seems that we pick a coin or two up each stop, but this time it was the 43S. We hear that some people get really lucky with finds. Glad to hear that you use the Ace 250 as well-it's a great machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great find. I really need to start checking the coinstar machines.

    ReplyDelete